By Jackie Will - May 30th, 2008 at 5:14 pm EDT
Summary: Obama Campaign asks Obama supporters not protest outside of the hotel where the DNC Rules and By-Laws Committee will meet on Saturday, May 31, 2008. The meeting will be broadcast live on CSPAN. Volunteer for your local voter registration drive.
Don't Demonstrate, Register Voters
As promised, I faxed the Obama Campaign requesting an official response to emails and blogs telling Obama supporters not to protest outside the DNC Rules and By-Laws Meeting on May 31st in Washington, DC.
I got a call today from Emily Jacobson of the Obama Campaign Political Department. She said the Obama Campaign requests we do not protest outside the meeting with Clinton supporters.
Unless you have a ticket to observe the meeting, the Obama campaign asks you not to demonstrate outside. You can watch the meeting live on CSPAN or join a voter registration in your area.
Take a walk in Clinton supporter shoes. How might you be feeling? We can't blame Hillary and Bill Clinton's choices on her supporters. Now is the time for unity, not a chaotic protest bound to attract "outside agitators"* poised to make trouble.
How to Watch the DNC Meeting
I just spoke with the DNC on Wednesday. Here's how you can participate, if you do not currently have a ticket/pass...
1. Show up early (if I could make it, I'd stay in the hotel or arrive by 4am) to get in line for a same day pass/ticket to be in the meeting or to observe the meeting from an overflow room inside the hotel;
2. If you are a guest, you can watch it on TV's the hotel will set up; and
3. Stay home and watch the live broadcast on c-Span or via a live stream on the democrats.org web site.
4. Ignore the meeting. Register new voters!
* An outside agitator, is not a supporter of either candidate. They may show up to gawk or try to start trouble.